Process of Annual GST Return Filing
Get Expert Advice
You can get expert advice on GST Annual Return filing
Documents submission & verification
Once you submit the documents required, our experts will do the paperwork
We will file the documents with the concerned authority
Completion of work
Once your work is done, we will send you the documents back
A Document which furnishes all the purchases, sales, tax paid on purchases, and tax collected on sales and other related details is called the GST Return. The GST Return is required to be filed with the tax authorities following which the taxpayer has to pay off the tax liability. GSTR-9 is an Annual Return for a normal taxpayer which is required to be filed annually. The due date of this return is 31st December of the next financial year.
Eligibility for GST Annual Return Filing
- Every registered person other than- I. Input service distributor II. Casual taxable person & non-resident taxable person III. TDS deductor u/s 51 and IV. TCS collector u/s 52 shall furnish an annual return for every financial year in Form GSTR-9.
- Filing of Annual Return is compulsory for taxpayers having aggregate turnover more than INR 2 crores & for taxpayers below this limit, filing of annual return is optional.
Frequently asked questions
What is GSTR-9?
It is an annual return to be filed by all registered taxpayers under GST irrespective of the turnover of an entity. The return consists of details such as inward/outward supplies, taxes paid, refund claimed, demand raised and ITC availed by the taxpayer.
Who is liable to file GSTR-9?
All registered taxpayers are required to file GSTR-9 except:
- Casual taxpayers
- Input Service Distributors
- Non-resident taxpayers
- TDS deductors u/s 51
- TCS collectors u/s 52
What is the due date for filing Annual Return?
The Annual return should be filed on or before the 31st December following the end of relevant Financial Year.
Is there any exemption threshold limit below which a person is not required to file an annual return?
Filing of Annual Return is compulsory for taxpayers having aggregate turnover more than INR 2 crores & for taxpayers below this limit, filing of annual return is optional.
What is the mode of submission and filing of GST Annual return?
GSTR -9 should be submitted and filed through the GST common portal i.e. www.gst.gov.in either directly or through a Facilitation Centre notified by the Commissioner.
Are there different types of Annual returns on the basis of the nature of the taxpayer?
Yes. The most basic Annual return applicable to every registered regular taxable person is GSTR-9. Howsoever, there are two categories of persons who are required to furnish the annual return in respect of GSTR-9:
- Composition Supplier: It must be noted that any composition supplier who pays tax under Sec. 10 should furnish his/her Annual return in FORM GSTR-9A.
- Electronic Commerce Operator: It must be noted that the all Electronic Commerce Operators who are required to Collect Tax at Source under Sec. 52 should furnish their Annual statement in FORM GSTR-9B.
What are the Preconditions for filing GSTR-9?
Following are the important pre-conditions for filing of GSTR-9:
The taxpayer should have active GSTIN during the relevant Financial Year as a normal/regular taxpayer even for a single day.
The taxpayer has filed all applicable returns i.e. Form GSTR-1 and Form GSTR-3B of the relevant Financial Year adequately before filing the Annual return.
Can a taxpayer file Form GSTR-9 return without paying a late fee (if applicable)?
No. Any taxpayer is not eligible to file Form GSTR-9 without making the payment of a late fee for Form GSTR-9 if it is filed after the due date.
Can GSTR-9 be revised?
No. Once the submission of GSTR-9 is done successfully, it cannot be revised
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER